Loading large catalogs (catalogs with more than 30,000 imported photos) to Imagen usually has longer waiting times than smaller catalogs. Small catalogs have a very fast loading time.
We recommend the following workflow to avoid lengthy waiting times without compromising your regular workflow with a large catalog.
The suggested workflow is straightforward and highly recommended for photographers who use large catalogs:
- Import the project photos into your main Lightroom catalog as usual.
- On the Library module (A), on the left panel (B), locate the project folder (C).
- Right-click on the folder name, and select "Export this folder as a catalog" from the menu (D).
- Select a temporary, easy-to-reach folder on the "Export as Catalog" window, and name the new catalog (A).
We recommend checking the "Build / Include Smart Previews" box (B), which helps the upload process be more efficient.
- Select the new catalog in Imagen and send your project photos for culling or editing.
- Download the ratings or edits to the catalog.
At this point, you can either continue to step #7 and edit the project on your main catalog or continue editing the project on the new catalog to enjoy a faster, responsive Lightroom Catalog. Once your project is fully edited, move to step #7.
- Open your main Lightroom Classic catalog.
- Choose File > Import From Another Catalog, and navigate to the new temporary catalog of the project.
- Under Catalog Contents, select the folders that contain the photos you want to import.
- Under "Changed Existing Photos", choose “Metadata and develop settings only” (A).
- Click Import (B).
- After the process ends, the metadata and all the develop settings are applied to the original folder you imported at the beginning.